In imaging driven experiments on 14-day old transparent Zebrafishes(450M year old species!), scientists discovered that the physiological characteristics of these tiny fishes were the same as humans during sleep. Their heart rate decreased, muscles relaxed, the temperature dropped.
So, sleep is as old as life itself.
Sleep is considered to be a state of a biological being, where energy consumption is low, cell repair is maximum, growth is maximum. Physiological parameters such as heart rate, temperature decrease, and muscles are relaxed during sleep in all animals.
In sleep, energy production is minimum, and energy distribution is maximum. This has remained the same for the last half a billion years.
Even plants distribute the starch made in the day to all other parts. Flower blossoms in the morning, new leaves grow in the night. So, in the plants, growth happens, in the night, activity in the days.
In humans, growth hormone(GH) is released in deep sleep. This plays a major role in repairing cell damage.
In another experiment on Bacterias, it was discovered that Bacterias eat and reproduce. But even under the best conditions and food, a part of the population remains dormant, meaning they consumed the least food and do not reproduce.
So, plants, Bacterias, Humans, Animals, all sleep.
FACTORS AFFECTING SLEEP:-
1) CIRCADIAN CLOCK:- The biological clock in the body that senses day and night and triggers sleep in the night. This is the same from plants to Zebrafish to humans.
2) ENERGY:- Many plants and animals hibernate during winter. It is a selected sleep, that reduces body energy need to a minimum. Low food puts Genes into depression, and they preserve themselves by sleeping.
3) MOTIVATION:- From the bacterial study, it is clear, that even with sufficient energy, when a cell is not motivated enough to reproduce, they sleep.
4) HEALING:- In an experiment, two groups of mice were immunized with antibiotics and were induced with bacteria. One group was denied any sleep and was kept awake for days, the other group had regular sleep. It was noted that the group which did not sleep had no effects of immunization, and was the same as non-immunized groups.
When you do a lot of physical work, your muscles need repair and relaxation.
So, the body needs sleep for good immunity and healing.
5) STRESS:- In the bacterial experiment, scientists cultured a group of bacteria in good food but with Antibiotics(Stress group), another set with less food. More Bacterias were dormant in the stress group.
6) DIGESTION:- You eat a lot, you feel more sleepy, and sleep longer. Don’t take food and you are awake. Eat leafy veg, you wake up early but fresh. Eat spicy food, you sleep more but wake up being more tired.
🩸 If this post helped you by adding to your knowledge, would you consider donating a small amount to motivate us to keep writing posts with scientific research? We are a small startup, and your donation matters a lot for us.
ROOT CAUSE DIAGNOSIS and SLEEP IMPROVEMENT:-
Almost everyone knows many things about sleep like how much they are sleeping, REM state, Non-Rem state, alpha, delta activity etc. Again, just like most complex biological phenomenon of life, Sleep is also a hot commodity today.
As many are suffering insomnia and spending more sleepless night, there is a huge market opportunity here. There are trackers that tracks your body parameters during sleep and tells how good or bad the sleep is. It is turned into a vital. Like pulse rate 72, BP 120/80, Spo2 98, 10,000 steps and 8 hours sleep.
“If you are sleeping less, you can take packages, supplements, pills, etc”.
The fact is, if you eat 4 KG of boiled Vegitables in the evening 8 PM, filling every corner of your stomach, then you will feel sleepy and will have an immidiate sleep. You may sleep for 8 hours too. But would you want to spend 8 hours sleeping to digest food?
Do not outsource your life to marketing campaigns and glamorous products. You owe it to yourself to listen to what your body and mind says and act accordingly
Did you know that Acculi Labs detect sleep anomalies with gold standard accuracy? You can take your Lyfas test to diagnose the issues with your sleep pattern and take the help from our experts to improve your sleep.
Lyfas does complete mind-body analysis through non-invasive methods, that involve three days of test through our clinical-grade mobile application and extended history taking. Our digital health assistants, coaches, and the clinical team then spends hours with you to uncover hidden issues in your mind and body. We help you to discover yourself better.